If moving to a new home is on your agenda, then you are probably wondering how much it will cost. One of the many aspects that factor into moving costs is hiring a moving company. Although moving can be expensive, there are ways to keep moving expenses down. Here are some tips for hiring moving companies so you can get the best deal possible while still maintaining an organized moving process.
1. Shop around. Before settling on one moving company, shop around and compare prices quickly so you have an idea of what your options are before setting up appointments with each mover . Keep in mind that not all moving companies charge by weight or item, so read their contracts carefully before making any decisions which moving company to hire for your move. Ask moving companies what they charge for different aspects of moving, such as packing supplies or travel time. Also ask moving companies about any hidden fees they may charge and how those fines are determined.
2. Do your research. Before hiring moving companies, make sure you do some additional research . Moving is a big event and it’s important to take the proper precautions before committing to a moving company that you just randomly selected off the internet. Determine if moving companies within your budget can handle all your belongings and meet federal safety standards set forth by the DOT (Department Of Transportation). Also, determine which moving company has positive reviews from past customers. If possible, contact those past customers and ask about their experiences with those movers. Additionally, check moving company reviews on the better business bureau website.
3. Get references. Always ask moving companies for referrals if they have them . Checking with their references will give you insight into how reliable moving companies are and whether or not they might be a good fit for your moving needs. If possible, speak with trusted friends or family members to see if they can recommend moving companies that have helped them before.
4. Don’t pay too much attention to advertisements. It’s important to note that moving companies’ marketing strategies can sometimes paint an unrealistic picture of what moving actually entails . Depending on the company’s advertisement style, it may look like movers are packing up all of your belongings in just one day *(these advertisements are not true for all moving companies). In reality, moving will take several days and moving companies cannot pack up your belongings in just one day.
5. Make sure moving companies are insured and licensed. If you’re hiring moving companies to help out with your move, it’s important to verify they have the proper licensing and insurance. It is also beneficial to ask moving company employees about their experience as movers so you can determine whether or not those employees know what they’re doing.
We hope this list helps! Take your time and choose the right movers. Even if it costs more, you’ll be happier in the end.